Monday, January 07, 2008

Fair or Dark?

Moments ago, I was browsing through neXus Central after so so long where I came across this article that Siew wrote back in 2005 regarding discrimination towards darker skin women and so on.

I am not being bias or anything just because I am in the darker skin catergory, but I still can't get it what is so special or why are fairer skin girls getting all the attention? No, I am not jealous of them. In fact I don't even like to be fair in the first place and I don't see why is it necessary for girls to spend cash on expensive products just to be fair. I am not here to criticize any fair girls here okay? I am just giving out my point of view, whether you agree or not, it is just my opinion.

According to Siew's article, he listed out three theories:

Theory 1:
"The first one, I stumbled upon at the CNN website. They think that fairness is a sign of the woman's affluence because only rich women were able to stay indoors and away from the sun. An average peasant woman would have to work the paddy fields. Therefore, fair skin became desirable because it proved you were rich. It's something like driving around in an exotic car. Fair skin was a symbol of status."

- I think that this theory no longer applies in our modern era as fair women no longer symbolize status anymore. Not all fair women are rich, and not all dark women are poor. I won't be arguing why fair is bad, I am here to tell why I never like to be fair. Women nowadays are afraid to be under the sun till the extend they will start whining, complaining and worrying about their complexion. Called it a stereotype or whatever, I always have this perception that fair women doesnt like sports. All they do is stay at home, hide themselves away from the sun as far as they can. On the contrary, darker complexion girls is more attractive as they always look like those sunny, healthy kinda girl. I am sure most guys nowadays prefer their gf to share the same hobby as them, go for sports together with them rather than staying at home or dating in shopping malls. :)

Theory 2:
"The other theory may sound a little absurd. We shun dark skin because it reminds us of darkness. Humans will always prefer light to dark because we are more vulnerable in the dark. It could be that somehow, we subconsciously link dark skin to actual darkness."

- Well, I do not have any comment about this. It just sounds so ridiculuous. I wonder if people at this generation still have this thought in their mind. Don't be surprise, many older generations po po and kong kong may have this thought carry from the past generation till today.

Theory 3:
"The last one reason is that people want to be something they are not. They want to be different within the community. That is why Asians want to be fair, Caucasians want to be tanned and the African Americans desire straight hair. "

- I couldn't agree more with this, people tend to be different, people loves changes, people loves to be dramatic, people loves attention! Perhaps this is why Asian always look upon their celebrities who are fair and aim to have their fair complexion. On the other hand, the europeans thinks that tanne skin are stunning and goes for sun bathing every summer or artificial skin tanning. Come to think about it, silly isnt it.

At the end of the day, it is still up to the community to think whether fairer women is more beautiful than darker women. No matter how the dark complexion asian women tries to dress up, in the eyes of men, they will never ever look as stunning as a fair complexion asian women. It is all in their mind, they already set the benchmark that a girl is consider pretty ONLY when they are fair. Accept the fact and you guys don't deny this fact!


p/s: if you guys interested in siew's article click this link http://nexus.mmu.edu.my/index.php?sectid=1&nesect=29&artid=436

No comments: